Friday, January 12, 2007

My intro...

...I think there's one on here already somewhere but it's buried in the archives.

I'm Jane, posting as steelbreeze (don't ask, it's a looong story!). My mum taught me to crochet when I was 8 and knit at about the same time, I think. I preferred crochet to knitting as it grew a lot faster. When I was in my early twenties I acquired a second-hand knitting machine, and luckily a nice lady on Usenet photocopied her manual for me. Since then, I've been learning how to use it and I'm reasonably proficient. I only have to conquer the spectre of double bed jacquard this year (kind of fair isle but knitted both sides and the floats are hidden inside the material), and I'm good to go I think!

I have managed to acquire 2 standard bed machines and one chunky (plus a Bond) - plus a lot of gadgets to go with these machines. Thankyou, Ebay and the MK Guild! I've rather taken over the front bedroom at home, luckily my other half "The Cog"'s hobby involves his PC so he doesn't need that room much!

I didn't knit for years until my sister started sprogging and they grew out of their first clothes - since 2005 there's been no stopping me!

Currently I'm doing a machine-knitted version of the Lizard Ridge afghan that appeared on Fall '06 Knitty which is taking all my money at £4.50 a ball! I'm also trying to work through my stash. I've plans to use up the oddments of sock yarn that are accumulating at home and make inroads to all the coned yarns I've acquired, probably in some sort of charity knitting - blankets or more of those T-shaped jumpers perhaps.

I've also vague plans to do something with all the one-ball purchases I've made - you know, you buy one ball of something because it's gorgeous and you can't justify getting any more. Not sure what yet, might be a jacket.

No comments: